Target Audience: Site Administrators & End Users
Have you ever wondered how best to use metadata that you are so diligently tagging in all those SharePoint Document Libraries? I will let you in on a little known secret; you can embed metadata within Microsoft Office documents. So you can keep those libraries neat without messing around with a sinful number of folders whilst minimizing data entry and enhancing user experience.
Are you not sold yet?
The following steps assume you already have the columns added to the Document Library. Otherwise, please follow these instructions from Microsoft (http://klo.pm/RUWWRZ). In this example, we will illustrate the steps to embed metadata properties in a Word Document.
- Navigate to the designated Document Library
- Click on SharePoint Ribbon > Documents > New Document (e.g. Word Document)
- Inside Microsoft Word, click on Ribbon > Insert > Quick Parts > Document Property
- Select the desired SharePoint column that is attached to the Document Library
- Repeat and rinse as many times as needed
All metadata fields are automatically synchronized, regardless whether they are entered in SharePoint or Microsoft Office applications. Equipped with this knowledge, we are marching closer toward a world of Documents without Folders! If you want to learn more about SharePoint metadata, please contact us!